Sudent Accommodation FAQ | Parklane Properties

Covid19 - Click here for our latest advice for existing and new customers

Are you looking for a housemate? Click here to register your interest for our buddy up service!

Student Accommodation FAQ

Popular questions asked about our student accommodation & property lettings process


Q. How long in advance do we need to book if we want to look at some houses?

A. We need 24 hours to inform current tenants of viewings on properties. To arrange a viewing just pop into the office, or call us on 0113 230 4949 or email the team at to register your interest.

Q. Do we meet you at the property or do we need to come to the office?

A. You will need to come to the office prior to the viewing and we will take you from here.

Q. Do you do viewings on Saturday?

A. Yes we are open for viewings on Saturdays from 10am to 5pm.

Q. Are all properties furnished?

A. Yes, all properties come furnished including kitchen appliances.

Q. Do we meet you at the property or do we need to come to the office?

A. You will need to come to the office prior to the viewing and we will take you from here.

Q. Do you do viewings on Saturday?

A. Yes we are open for viewings on Saturdays from 10am to 5pm.

Q. In two or more bedroom properties, can more than one person live in the same room?

A. No, the price is per person in relation to the number of bedrooms in the house.

Q. Do you have any houses where I can just rent one room?

A. Yes we have individuals rooms to let within shared student houses. In these you will have your own room, but will share communal facilities.

Q. Do you have any student 'halls' type of accommodation?

A. We do have a large student complex called the Triangle, details of which can be found on our website. Rooms can be rented individually or as a complete apartment of 5 or 6 bedrooms.

Q. Do you offer properties with bills included?

A. Yes, you have the option to take most of our properties with bills included.  Where you rent an individual room within a shared house the bills are usually included: gas, water, electricity and sometimes council tax. Phone bills are not included however in some cases internet can be provided. Please contact our office for further details.

Q. What is an Energy Performace Certificate?

A. This is a document that indicates how energy efficient and environmentally friendly the property is.

Q. Do I need a TV licence?

A. It is your responsibility to purchase a TV licence; it is against Television Licensing authority law to be without a TV licence for any TV's within your property.

Q. Should I take out contents insurance?

A. Yes, unless your property is Autograph which includes contents insurance, you are responsible for insuring any personal possessions within your property. 

Q. Are pets allowed?

A. Unfortunately not.

Q. Do you provide kitchen utensils or do we need to bring our own?

A. Our properties are fully furnished, but we do NOT provide items such as kitchen utensils and bedding, therefore you will need to bring these with you when you move in.

Q. Is the internet installed?

A. This varies from property to property. Please enquire at our office.

Q. Do you offer a Summer discount?

A. Generally we don't, but this very much depends on the particular house that you're interested in, please ask during the viewing.

Q. Can I bring my own furniture?

A. To ensure that both health and safety regulations are maintained at all times, we request that tenants do not bring their own furniture or electrical goods into the property. All furniture or furnishings brought into the property must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings Safety Regulations and electrical goods should have been PAT tested (Portable Appliance testing). The Tenant is responsible for removal of any personal items at the end of the tenancy.

Q. How long are the tenancy agreements for?

A. Normally for a fixed term of 12 months but this depends on the property.

Q. Are there any administration fees?

A. No, we do not charge administration fees.

Q. Do I need to pay a deposit?

A. Yes a deposit is a returnable sum and the amount payable will depend on the specific property. As above, the deposit will not need to be paid again should you choose to continue your contract with Parklane in the same property.

Q. What is the best way of paying the deposit?

A. You can pay the deposit by debit / credit card in the office or online at

Q. When should I pay the deposit?

A. You should pay the deposit at the time of signing the Contract.

Q. Who looks after my deposit?

A. The deposit is safeguarded by The Tenancy Deposit Scheme, which is administered by: The Dispute Service Ltd, Tenancy Deposit Scheme, PO Box 1255, Hemel Hempstead, Herts, HP1 9GN. Phone: 0300 037 1000. Web: Email: Fax: 01442 253193.

Q. Do you do credit checks?

A. Not usually, although we do require every tenant to have a guarantor. This needs to be someone that is a UK resident, a homeowner and fully employed.

Q. What if I am unable to provide a guarantor?

A. If you do not have anyone who can act as a guarantor, please speak to a member of the lettings team and we will see if any alternative arrangements can be made.

Q. I am an International student and my parents live abroad so I am unable to provide a guarantor. What can I do ?

A. Please talk to a member of the lettings team to discuss making alternative arrangements.

Q. What agreements do I need to sign?

A. You would sign a Fixed Term Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. Once signed, the Contract is legally binding on all parties and you are liable for rental payments for the full period of the Contract. Please speak to a member of the lettings team if you require any further information regarding the Agreement.

Q. What if I do not understand the Contract?

A. If there are any aspects of the Contract you do not understand, a member of the lettings team would be more than happy to go through the terms with you.

Q. How do I ensure I get the keys?

A. In order to fulfill our requirements, each tenant needs to complete an application form and provide us with photo ID, return the surety forms and additional supporting documents, complete a Direct Debit mandate and pay any admin fees, deposit and rent. Please note this must be done for all tenants under the joint and several Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. Once this process is complete, we can issue keys to you on the day your tenancy starts.

Q. What happens on the day I move in?

A. Details of what you need to do at the beginning of your tenancy are available on ‘My Parklane’, the one stop shop on our website for everything you need to know.

Q. How do I notify you of any problems with the property at the start of the tenancy?

An inspector will visit your Property following the return of all of the keys from the previous Tenants to record the condition and any damage caused to the property. You will also be issued with an Inventory and Schedule of Condition which is a detailed list of all items and their condition throughout the Property. You should check that all items listed on the inventory are present and are in the condition described on the inventory, record any damages and return the inventory to the office within 14 days. . We will use this inventory when you vacate your home at the end of the tenancy, so it is important to make sure it is returned to us.

Q. How often do we have to pay rent?

A. If you are a student, the rent is paid in quarterly instalments. Professionals can pay in monthly instalments.

Q. How do I pay the rent?

A. Rent is payable by direct debit. A direct debit is a preauthorised payment under which an account holder authorises a bank to pay a fixed amount such as a rent payment or variable amounts (such as those called for in bills or invoices) directly to a landlord, for example, at regular intervals. Your rent will be collected automatically once this has been set up.

Q. Why do you take the rent out on the 22nd when it is not due until the 1st?

A. It is essential that we have cleared funds in our account by the 1st day of the due date. This period usually allows us to collect rental payments to reach our account in time.

Q. Can my parents pay for my rent?

A. Anyone can pay rent on your behalf. However, the legal responsibility lies with you.

Q. Can I pay my rent when I receive my student loan?

A. Although the majority of our lets are to students, we are a private company with no association to the Student Loans Company. The rent is payable as per the terms of your signed Tenancy Agreement.

Q. How do I go about registering the utility bills in my name?

A. Take a note of the meter readings and serial numbers and contact the utility provider to register the gas, electric and water in your name. We will also require a copy of this information.

Q. Can I decorate?

A. It may be possible for you to decorate certain rooms in houses. It is critical that you get written permission from the Manager at the office first. There will be obvious conditions such as ensuring that the decoration is done in a good workman like manner and that paint is not splashed around on carpets or other furniture.

Q. What happens if something breaks down?

A. Parklane will instruct HIVE Property Services, a maintenance company that not only attends to repairs, but also provides a 24 hour emergency call out service.

To report any maintenance problems with your property:

  • Contact Hive Property Services and give them as much information as possible regarding the problem. They will allocate the job on a priority basis.
  • Hive Property Services will inform you of when a tradesman will be attending your property. They have a set of your keys so you do not need to be present at the time, if it is not convenient.

Hive Property Services can be contacted via telephone on: 0113 224 4610 or via e-mail: If you need to visit their offices at any point their address is Unit 9, 1 Weaver Street, Leeds, LS4 2AU.

Q. Who is responsible for changing light bulbs in my property?

A. This is the tenant’s responsibility and you should make sure all light bulbs are working when you leave the property.

Q. Who is responsible for tending to my garden?

A. It is the tenant’s responsibility to tend to the garden. This includes maintaining the grass, hedges, weeding and generally keeping the garden tidy. If you do not maintain the garden to a satisfactory level then Hive have been instructed to maintain this for you and will charge you for this service. Hive will carry out a gardening round every 4-6 weeks throughout the growing season which is generally between April and the end of October

Q. Can I put a lock on my bedroom door?

A. We understand the need for privacy however locks on internal doors create a whole series of issues so unfortunately we cannot allow this. If a lock is put on a door then it will be removed and the tenant will be charged for the removal and any damage to the doors.

Q. My neighbours are playing loud music all night and keeping me awake. What can I do?

A. Tenants are requested at all times to have respect and consideration for all residents within their property and their neighbours. They are requested to refrain from playing loud music and the use of abusive language/behaviour. We will speak to them but if the problem continues, you can also seek advice from Leeds City Council's Environmental Health dept. noise service.

Q. Can I leave the contract earlier?

A. On an Assured Short hold Tenancy Agreement, you're legally bound until the end of your tenancy period. We can however consider ending your tenancy if you have a replacement. This individual will need to meet all of our criteria and be able to provide full guarantor details prior to the process being complete. There is an admin fee of £120 chargeable to the outgoing tenant. If you need any further information on this process please contact a member of the lettings team.

Q. What happens if I fall into arrears?

A. If you are experiencing difficulties paying your rent don’t ignore the problem and hope it will go away. The sooner you let us know of any extenuating circumstances the quicker we can try and work with you. Please refer to your tenancy agreement for details on charges that could be applied. We don't like charging you fees, and we're sure that you also don't like the embarrassment (and cost) of not paying your rent on time. Please contact your Property Consultant to discuss the situation.

Q. Can I deduct my deposit from my last rent payment?

A. Unfortunately not as the rent and deposit are quite separate. The final instalment of rent is payable in full by direct debit as per the terms of the contract.

Q. Can the final utility bills be paid out of the deposit?

A. No. If the bills are in the names of the tenants, it is the tenant’s responsibility to ensure the final utility bills are settled in full.

Q. What should I do with the keys at the end of the tenancy?

A. You should return the keys to our office no later than 12 noon on the last day of your tenancy. If the keys aren’t returned, the new tenants will not be able to move in, so it is of major importance to return all keys within the allowed timescale. If a housemate is leaving early then please collect their keys before they depart. If your keys are not returned, you may be charged for the locks to be changed, or you may even have to pay to house the new tenants in a hotel until all keys have been returned – a hassle and expense that can be avoided with planning.

Q. How do I get my deposit back?

A. In order to facilitate the process of returning your deposit you will need to provide proof of payment of your final utility bills (gas, electric, water and council tax), complete with meter readings.  We need all original utility bills proving settlement of accounts as from the last day of your tenancy. These must be stamped to show proof of payment or accompanied by a bank statement showing corresponding switch/cheque payment details or you can provide a letter from your supplier explaining that your account is clear. If you are a student you should be exempt from Council Tax but you will need to contact Leeds City Council for further information.

Q. Will I get my full deposit back?

A. We want to re-imburse your deposit in full so please make sure the property is returned to us in a condition that is clean, lettable and without damage, exceeding wear & tear. Cleaning and removal charges are the most common deductions made against deposits. Some housemates may depart early, leaving the remaining tenants to clean and clear the rest of the house. This can lead to a rushed job and monies being deducted for additional cleaning to bring the property back up to standard. What ever you do, don’t have your moving out party the night before, it could be very costly!!!

Q. When can I expect to receive my deposit?

A. The deposit will be returned following expiry of the Tenancy (and the return of the keys) subject to any deduction that the Landlord is entitled to make from it. Payment of the deposit or any balance of it will be made within 10 working days of the Landlord and the Tenant agreeing the allocation of the deposit. Please refer to the terms of your Tenancy Agreement for further details.

Q. How is my deposit paid back?

A. The deposit will be paid to you by cheque or directly into your bank account upon completion of the deposit return process. Please provide us with a forwarding address and your bank details.

Q. How can I ensure I receive all my post after the tenancy has ended?

A. You need to ensure that all your forwarding addresses are provided to all necessary sources e.g banks, insurance, credit card, utility companies. You don’t want new tenants knowing all of your personal details so the easiest way to do this is through Royal Mail's 'Home Redirections Service' ( to forward mail from your old address to your new one. You will not be able to re-enter the property once your tenancy has ended so make sure this is done a few weeks in advance.

Q. How do I lodge a complaint?

Parklane is committed to improving the service we deliver to our customers, therefore is it vital to gain feedback when your expectations have not been met.

Please view our compaints procedure page for details on how to lodge a complaint.


Ancillary Use

A suite of adjoining rooms used for a particular purpose. A place to live within a block of flats. Most Estate Agents offer a choice of apartments for sale.

Assured Shorthold Tenancy

A form of assured tenancy which gives landlords an absolute right to repossession after a fixed term under the 'shorthold' ground. New residential tenancies now automatically become ASTs unless otherwise stated. Letting and management agents usual


Land which is behind existing development with no, or very limited, road frontage.

Balance Outstanding

The amount of loan owed at a particular time usually on a Mortgage.

Ancillary Use

A subsidiary use connected to the main use of a building or piece of land.

Apartment Building

A suite of adjoining rooms used for a particular purpose. A place to live within a block of flats. Most Estate Agents offer a choice of apartments for sale.

Assured Shorthold Tenancy

A form of assured tenancy which gives landlords an absolute right to repossession after a fixed term under the 'shorthold' ground. New residential tenancies now automatically become ASTs unless otherwise stated. Letting and management agents usually only offer this type of letting agreement to prospective tenants seeking property to rent


Land which is behind existing development with no, or very limited, road frontage.

Balance Outstanding

The amount of loan owed at a particular time usually on a Mortgage.

Barge Board

Wide board (on older work often carved) fitted below tiles of overhanging verge to gable.


This is required by many letting agencies before a tenant can move into a property. It is a fixed sum which is held by the letting company until the tenant vacates the property. It is returned to the tenant subject to the property being in acceptable condition under the terms of the Tenancy Agreement. If there are any repairs required or items to replace this will be deducted from the bond amount. These are also known as Dilapidations

Building Preservation Order

A notice under Section 3 of the Planning ( Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 to protect buildings of special architectural or historic interest from demolition or alterations that would affect their interest

Built in

Designed or fitted as a fixed or permanent part. Example: Built in wardrobe.

Cavity Wall

An external wall of a property that is made up of two leaves of masonry, bricks or blocks separated by a cavity.

Change of Use

More correctly referred to as a 'material change of use'. A change in the use of land or buildings that is of significance for planning purposes, often requiring planning permission.

Chief Rent

An annual charge on freehold property found in certain parts of Britain. The chief rent is payable by the freeholder in perpetuity although the amount cannot be increased.

Contents Insurance

These are not mandatory but provide protection for items in your home, including furniture and personal possessions, in case they're stolen, lost or damaged.


This is the legal and binding agreement containing all the essential details of the sale. The contract commits both buyer and vendor to the transaction and sale of the property

Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ)

An area in which all kerbside space is controlled by either waiting or loading restrictions or by designated parking spaces.


The sub-division of residential properties into bedsits, self-contained flats or maisonettes.


The carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or land.

Development Area

A priority area for environmental, social or economic regeneration or a combination of these.


These are the damages that must be repaired on a rented property

Green Belt

Specially designated area of countryside protected from most forms of development in order to stop urban sprawl and the coalescence of settlements, preserve the character of existing settlements and encourage development to locate within existing built-up areas.

Ground Rent

Rent paid to the owner of freehold land by a person who has a Lease.


Someone who guarantees an obligation of another.


This is the list that describes the fixtures, fittings and other items in a rental property. It is given to the tenant at the beginning of the rental period so that any Dilapidations can be highlighted at the end of the tenancy.


The owner of a property being let to a tenant.


A document which grants possession of a property for a fixed period of time and sets out the obligations of both parties, landlord and tenant, such as payment of rent, repairs and insurance. This may also be outlined in the tenancy agreement.


To be given ownership of a property but not the land it is built on. This normally requires payment of ground rent to the landlord.


Person responsible for granting a lease - normally the landlord.


An agreement to let a property. If you are a Landlord with a property to let or a tenant seeking a property contact our Letting Department on 0113 230 4949 or email

Listed Building

Building or other structure of special architectural or historic interest.

Listed Building Consent

Permission required for the alteration or demolition of a listed building.

Maintenance Charge

A charge (usually levied in flats) to cover the cost of repairing and maintaining the external or internal parts of communal part of a building.


Intermediate floor usually in a multi-story building, which does not extend to the full floor area of the whole building.


Independent professional bodies that investigate complaints on behalf of customers against estate agents, solicitors and insurance companies.


An out-of-centre development on a green-field site or on land not clearly within the current urban boundary.

Premium Lease

An upfront fee charged by the letting company as rental payment for a property.

Public Open Space (POS)

Land provided in urban or rural areas for public recreation, though not necessarily publicly owned.

Public Right of Way

A way where the public has a right to walk, and in some cases ride horses, bicycles, motorcycles or drive motor vehicles, which will be designated either as a footpath, a bridleway, a road used as a public path (RUPP) or a byway.

Rent Charge

Money paid by a tenant to a landlord for use of a property when taking tenancy of a property.

Ribbon development

A narrow band of development extending along one or both sides of a road.

Rural Development Area

Priority area for economic and social development.

Semi detached property

A property joined to a neighbouring building by a shared wall.

Sole Agent

When a single agent is instructed to undertake a sale or let

Special Needs Housing

Housing to meet need arising from homelessness or overcrowding, and purpose-built or supported housing for the elderly or disabled people or those requiring care.


This is the temporary possession of a property by an individual or individuals, it is governed by the tenancy agreement or lease.

Tenancy Agreement

A legal document outlining the terms and conditions of the tenancy and is used to protect the rights of both the tenant and the landlord.


Person occupying a property, normally subject to the terms of a lease or tenancy agreement agreed with the landlord.

Tenants in Common

This is when more than one person buys a property. You become tenants in common and it ensures that if one of you dies their share of the property forms part of their estate and does not automatically pass onto the other party.


A collective term relating to the nature of the vendor's title to a property i.e. freehold, leasehold or crownhold.

Terrace Property

One of a row of houses separated only by shared dividing side walls.

Tree Preservation Order (TPO)

Direction made by a local planning authority that makes it an offence to cut, top, lop, uproot or wilfully damage or destroy a tree without that authority's permission.

Urban Fringe

Predominantly open land on the edge of an existing urban area.

Urban Regeneration

The re-use or redevelopment of decaying or run-down parts of older urban areas to bring them new life and economic vitality.


Property built between approximately 1837 -1901.

Village Envelope

Boundaries defined on a map beyond which the local planning authority proposes that a village should not be allowed to extend.


The income from a rental property calculated as a percentage of its value.