Covid19 - Click here for our latest advice for existing and new customers

Are you looking for a housemate? Click here to register your interest for our buddy up service!

What Do you Have to Pay When Renting A Property

As soon as you’ve made a decision about where you want to live, you’re more than likely to feel excited about settling in to your new surroundings. However, once you have moved in, how much do you have to pay for besides the basic cost of renting? We aim to answer this by listing all of the costs you’ll have to cover while living in a rented home.

Council tax

If you’re aged 18 and over and either own or rent a home, you’ll have to pay council tax. The amount you pay depends on the value of your property, the area you live in and whether or not you live alone. Payments are usually made on a monthly basis.

Each property is in a council tax band. These range from A (5/9) and A to H, with H being for the most valuable properties. You can find the council tax costs for Leeds on the council’s website. Meanwhile, if you live alone, you get a 25% discount on your total bill.

Utility bills

While the rent for some properties does include utility bills, this isn’t the case in most homes. You should budget for water, gas and electricity and expect to pay on either a monthly or quarterly basis for each one.

Find out whether or not your new home uses gas and electricity or just electricity. If it doesn’t use gas, then you’ve got one less bill to worry about. As for the costs, you can find calculators on the UK Power website for things like appliance electricity use and smart meters.

TV Licence

If you’re intent on bringing your telly to your new place and spending a little time in front of it after a hard day’s work, you’ll need a TV Licence. Even if you don’t watch anything on the BBC, you still need one for legal reasons.

Should you already have a licence, ring them or click here to notify them of a change of address. Cost-wise, the licence will set you back £145.50 per year, which works out at around £12 per month. You can pay for it all in one go, quarterly, monthly or weekly; whichever is most convenient.


In many properties, there is a basic amount of furniture already there. A sofa, table, bed with mattress, wardrobe and chest of drawers may be included, but if not, you’ll need to bring your own. This may be good if you want to make your new place feel more like a home and if you need extra storage for all of your clothes and other worldly possessions.

For just about every rental property, you’ll need to pay for your own soft furnishings. The important ones are bedding and cushions for your sofa, but you could also bring items like a tablecloth or throw with you, depending on what you’re using them for.


In a part-furnished or furnished flat/home, it’s likely that most of the important appliances will be included. All rental properties should be fitted with a shower and/or bath, whilst in the kitchen, you should expect to find a cooker.

Fridges or fridge-freezers, washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers depend on the size, cost and space within a property. To be on the safe side, book a viewing to see whether or not any or all of these are included in the price or if you need to bring your own.

Contents insurance

In the majority of cases, you’ll need to take out your own insurance for your property. The good thing is that you don’t have to pay full whack for home insurance, whilst some letting agents will provide their own contents insurance package for you.

What is covered by my rent?

There are quite a few costs that your weekly or monthly rent will cover, which are:

  • Repairs - if something happens like one of the appliances becoming faulty or the shower stops working without you causing it, the letting agents and/or landlord will cover the cost of any repairs needed
  • Decoration - if the home you’re renting is in need of a lick of paint, the landlord or letting agent will cover the cost, meaning you don’t have to pay a penny
  • Safety checks - free of charge, the letting agent/landlord will arrange fitting of smoke alarms, fire alarms and CO2 alarms, as well as checks to see if they’re all working

Contact us for more information on your ideal location

 contact form or +44 (0)113 237 0000