Covid19 - Click here for our latest advice for existing and new customers

Renting Q&A & Tips from our letting experts

Get advice and answers to all your renting concerns

If you’ve never rented a property before or haven’t moved to a new rental property for a while, it might seem difficult to get your head around it. However, with a little advice from our experts, we’re on hand to answer all of those tricky questions you have about everything from paperwork to handing over the keys if wanting to leave.

What should I do when wanting to view a property?

The first thing you should do is send us an email or call us. Then, we will arrange a time that’s convenient for you to view the property that you’re interested in from Monday to Saturday.

What should I do when viewing a property?

You should look at every room to see how much of your possessions you can fit in and if there’s enough room or too much room. It’s always worth taking your time, rather than doing a whistlestop tour. Take a few photos if you like to remember what you saw before making a decision.

How do I know if I can afford to rent a property?

All you need to do is know how much you earn a month, calculate your monthly spending on food, utilities, tax and so on and work out how much left you have for rent. If that amount falls within your budget, you’ll be able to afford it!

Do I have to pay a deposit?

The answer is yes. The reason why is because we are able to guarantee that you’re able to rent the property. If, at the end of your tenancy, the property you’re living in looks how it did when you first moved in, you’ll get your deposit back.

Can I make any home improvements?

You can make some, within reason, if you ask the landlord’s permission first. You can contact your landlord through our letting agents, who are available over the phone for any enquiries. This covers things such as painting walls, fixing shelves and laying new carpet.

Who is responsible for maintenance of the property?

The landlord is largely responsible. Although you, as part of your tenancy agreement, need to make sure the property is clean and tidy, if there’s an issue with things like electricity, gas, the water supply or if something big needs fixing, then it’s worth contacting the letting agent and they’ll get a repair company in to sort the problem out.

What insurance do I need?

If renting a property, you won’t need home insurance. However, it’s advisable to take out contents insurance in case of theft. Before you do, work out how much everything in your property is worth, then you’ll know how much you need cover for. This is important when looking for a contents insurer.

What paperwork do I need for renting?

As proof of your identity and income, you’ll usually need two or more of the following documents:

  • Your passport
  • A gas, electricity, water or council tax bill
  • Your most recent payslip
  • A recent bank statement

Any two of these should be useful, but to be on the safe side, make sure at least one of them is either your bank statement or payslip.

Can I arrange more than one viewing in a day?

If it helps, you can. Arranging multiple property viewings over the course of a day can be quite helpful, as you’re in the right frame of mind for viewing a new flat or house. Also, you’ll learn from each viewing about what to look for and will find it easier to compare properties against each other before making a decision.

Who should I get a reference from when applying to rent a property?

There are a few people you could get to act as references in your application form. However, you can’t choose a relative; they should be a work colleague or a previous landlord, if possible. At work, a referee should be either your line manager or the boss.

Can I bring my own kitchen appliances?

You can, particularly in an unfurnished property. However, they should be installed safely and correctly so that they don’t mess up the property’s electrics. There should also be sufficient room in the kitchen for them to be used.

Can I sort out my own utility suppliers?

For broadband, a landline phone, gas and electricity, you can. However, the water supplier is the same for all properties in Leeds - Yorkshire Water. Be sure to check who the previous gas/electricity supplier to your new rental property was; you can ask your letting agent. Then, contact them to see if you can get a good deal or about switching to another supplier.

Contact us for more information on your ideal location

 contact form or +44 (0)113 237 0000