What To Do In Case Of A Student Property Emergency

Park Lane Properties

What To Do In Case Of A Student Property Emergency

Posted in: ,

Share with friends:

May 31, 2018 7:12 am Published by
a girl in a student property that's flooding

We hate to say it but a property emergency can happen anytime. From losing your keys to more serious emergencies like flooding and fire, a student property emergency can be stressful and we do everything we can to ensure they don’t happen. However, if there is a student property emergency here’s what to do to stay safe and to get things sorted as soon as possible.

If There’s A Fire

A fire can happen for any reason. Maybe someone left their straighteners on or a pan on the hob might have got too hot. Candles, which are strictly forbidden in Parklane properties, can often be the cause of fires too. Whatever the reason, fires should be taken seriously. If it is safe for you to do to so, try and put out the fire immediately using a fire blanket. If you are not sure how to use this equipment or the fire is getting out of control, immediately evacuate the building and tell your housemates to leave the building too. Do not stop to collect personal belongings and never re-enter the building until you’ve been told it is safe to do so.

Call the fire service as soon as you can and they will handle the fire in the safest way. To ensure you’re safe at all times, fire alarms are fitted in all student properties and these are routinely checked by Parklane staff. If you have been affected by a fire, speak to Parklane staff in regards to your living accommodation and also call your contents insurance provider if you’ve lost any important belongings – they may be able to help replace your valuable possessions.

fire alarm with smoke and ceiling

If There’s Flooding In Your Student Property

Flooding can happen at any time and it can be a lot more disastrous than a little puddle on the bathroom floor. If a water pipe bursts, it can be devastating – as seen recently at a student apartment complex in the centre of Leeds. But there are ways you can make sure this doesn’t happen or be prepared when it does. Additionally, there is helpful information online including the likes of Citizens Advice, where many questions can be answered. 

Water pipes and boilers in your property will be checked periodically to ensure you’re safe. If the pipes do burst, please call Hive or Parklane as soon as possible. Flooding can mean you have to leave your property for several weeks and we don’t want that to happen. Make sure your university work is backed up and if someone knows how to turn off the water, this will reduce the potential damage that could be caused by flooding.

Hive will come to your student accommodation as soon as possible and check or isolate any electrical systems that might be affected by the flooding and cordon off any unsafe area.

If you do ever notice any signs of a leak, please ensure that you report this immediately to prevent damage to your property.

Losing Your Keys

It happens to the best of us! Losing your keys can happen at the most inconvenient of times – most likely after a long day at the library or after a fun night out with friends. When you lose your keys it can be quite an overwhelming moment. Don’t panic though, fingers crossed your housemate is in, or you’re with your housemate who has their own key. If not, we can help. Whether you’re at The Triangle or in a Parklane house, give Hive or Parklane a call and we’ll help replace the key and also ensure your house is safe in case your key has been stolen.

student locked out of property

What To Do In A Burglary

Being burgled is a horrible thing to go through and we hope it never happens to you. To minimise the risk of this happening, ensure all your windows and doors are locked at night, when you’re upstairs or in the garden, or whenever you leave your student accommodation. At least 50% of student burglaries happen through windows and doors being left open or unlocked so ensure these are locked at all times. It’s also worth putting expensive items out of sight so people can’t see them through the windows. Also, when you know your property is going to be empty, put lights on a timer so it makes your property look like it’s occupied.

If someone does, unfortunately, break into your property and steal your belongings, call the police straight away. They may be able to collect evidence which could lead to your belongings being returned. Please also call Parklane Properties as we’ll need to change the locks and make your property secure. At this time you’ll also need to contact your contents insurance provider to see if you can get any compensation for the stolen property.

We hope you never have to deal with a student property emergency but if you do, please call Parklane Properties for help.

About Emma Hart

Share with friends:

Categorised in: ,

This post was written by Emma Hart