Are you moving out of your student accommodation soon? If you are, you’ll want to make sure the process is as smooth as possible. From packing your bags to vacating your property, here’s your ultimate guide to leaving your student accommodation…
Have You Got All Your Belongings?
One of the best things to do when packing your bags is to make a checklist of everything you need to take with you.
- Have you checked all your drawers?
- Are all the plug sockets clear of phone chargers?
- Is your bathroom empty?
Not only do you not want to leave any of your belongings behind, but you don’t want to risk being charged for the property company to have to clear things from your room.
It’s also a good idea to arrange for someone to help you move – you’ll more than likely have a lot of stuff! Can your parents bring their car to help move your belongings? Do you need to put anything in storage? If you have this organised, you’ll be a lot less stressed on the day.
What Happens On Moving Out Day?
On moving out day, you need to have left your property and returned your keys to the Parklane office no later than 12 noon. To find out the last day of your tenancy, just contact the office and they’ll be able to see the date on your contract. If there’s a specific day you want to leave, please let us know and don’t forget to leave your keys with us!
When you leave your keys, just return them to the Parklane Headingley Office. In person is best so just bring them in an envelope with your name inside. If you can’t return them to the office in person, please post by recorded delivery with your name in the envelope. Only do this if absolutely necessary though and don’t include the address of the property you’re vacating.
If your keys get lost or are returned after the deadline, there may be charges for lock and key replacement – we don’t want this to happen to you!
Don’t forget, when you leave your property for the final time, switch off all heating and lights and ensure windows and doors are locked. Then all you have to do is set the alarm and say goodbye to your student accommodation.
How To Ensure That Your Property Is In Tip Top Condition
Here’s a little checklist to ensure that you don’t get any nasty cleaning charges after you’ve left your student accommodation.
- Remove all of your personal belongings, furniture, rubbish, and food.
- Empty, clean, and defrost your fridge and freezer. Hopefully, your flatmates will help you do this!
- Clean your cooker, hob, and microwave. There are plenty of oven cleaning kits out there that can help with this as it can be a tough job!
- Clean the washing machine drawer.
- Clean all cupboards, skirting boards, windows, and frames. Divide these jobs up between you and your housemates and it’ll be a lot quicker and easier!
- Clean all floors, vacuum all carpets and replace the bag after.
- Make sure the bathroom is clean and plugholes are clear. We know it’s a bit of a horrible job but it needs to be done.
- Replace any smoke alarm batteries.
- Return all furniture to its original position.
- If you have a garden, make sure this is tidy as you’ll be charged if a gardener is needed to tidy up.
Organise Your Bills
If you’re in a property where you pay bills separate to your rent, then you just need to ring your utility companies to provide meter readings and forwarding addresses.
Please send us copies of your final bills which show proof of payment. Meter readings and final payments should be detailed on final bills.
Following the above guidelines will speed up the return of your deposit. We will check over the property and aim to put your deposit back into your account as soon as possible. To avoid delay, please also provide confirmation of your correct bank details via email or by completing the form we have in the Parklane Headingley office.
Do You Have Things You Don’t Want?
If you have any belongings such as bedding, pots, pans, clothes, and electrical goods that you don’t need any more, you can drop them with Leave Leeds Tidy. This company aims to help keep Leeds clear of a huge amount of waste that can build up when the mass of students in Leeds leave their student accommodation.
When Can You Come Into The Office?
Our office hours over the moving out period are:
29th June: 9am to 5.30pm
30th June and 1st July: 10am to 5pm
31st July, 1st August and 2nd August: 9am to 5.30pm
30th August and 31st August: 9am to 5.30pm
1st and 2nd September: 10am to 5pm
If you have any questions about leaving your student accommodation and the moving out process, please contact the Parklane Headingley office on 0113 230 4949.
This post was written by Emma Hart